Sunday 1 October 2017

Cosying Up Your University Room.

Hello Friends, after a hectic couple of weeks I am back with a Sunday post and a few prepared and up my sleeve to see us through! 

 I have completed my first week of lectures at University which feels crazy to say when I wrote so many posts so recently about it being in the future. It's now real and it's very overwhelming. 

 I have written a post about how overwhelming it really is moving into university, but now that I am happy and settled, I didn't want that to be my first University Life post! It will go public when the time is right, but not just yet. Today I wanted to share my top tips about how to make halls feel more like home!

 There are still some little bits I want to get for my room, but I'm just going to share a couple of things that you might find helpful if you're struggling to settle into your new little space. 

 A must for me was bringing some of my favourite stuffed toys.

 Regretfully, I couldn't bring the whole gang and so some of my furry friends had to stay home... but I narrowed it down to two and I'm going to introduce you to them now!


 This is Pink Teddy and Archibald (3 guesses who is who.) Pink Teddy and I met when I was very small, hence the unimaginative name, but she has been my closest friend for all of these years and she just had to come with me. Archibald I actually built myself at the infamous Build-a-Bear workshop, (not sponsered although I'd be more than happy to work with those guys if they ever got in touch!) He's so cool and just makes me laugh because the only clothing I could afford for him on my 14th birthday was a pare of pink heart print pants because, of course, he couldn't go naked all the way home! 

 Having some cuddly toys close is such a comfort and will always warm your heart, no matter how 'grown up' you think you are.

Another thing that came in handy for me was this reed diffuser. When you first move your stuff into halls the smell is very unfamiliar. Every home has it's own smell and so a foreign smell can be very unsettling, even if it's not remarkably unpleasant! This is a christmasy scent from Primark Homeware. I love Christmas and so, I figured, if my room started to smell Christmasy it might be some comfort to me. 



 It's important to have little items dotted around that will remind you of home. I brought books and mugs with me so that when I cosy up in bed with a nice cup of coffee, it feels cosy and not painfully Uni-Like with the same mug over and over again! 

 And, for when everything gets terribly exhausting, it's nice to have a small supply of your favourite alcoholic beverage to have a wind down with your flat mates (drink in moderation!) 









Putting up photographs is always a good idea. I have covered the provided cork board with pictures of old friends and my family as a little comfort blanket when I miss home. But I also dedicated a corner of this display to 8 powerful women who have inspired me over the years. To name a few, we have Judy Gardland who starred in my favourite childhood film, The Wizard of Oz. We also have Miss Taylor Swift who has been my favourite musician since I was 8. And some of my favourite songwriters Alanis Morissette, Gabrielle Aplin and Sara Bareilles. This is such a comfort for when I have down days and feel a lack of motivation. I can look up at those women who worked hard for their careers and it gives me the push to keep going. 


 There are many other ways you can make a uni room feel more like home so if these ideas don't work for you, keep reading other blogs, (that's where I got most of my inspiration from,) and I recommend Lucy Moon on YouTube for more ideas, she's fab! 


 Thank you so much for reading, I'll see you next week and Good Luck for your own University endeavours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment