Monday 29 May 2017

A Carnival in the Rain

"You said it was the perfect picture. I think it didn't fit the frame; a carnival in the rain" - Whispers, Orla Gartland.


 At 18 years old, I have just attended my first ever carnival. 

 I apologise that this post is a day late. I wanted to save this week's (last week's) post for something special which meant waiting until Monday. 

 Having recently moved house, we decided to use this Bank Holiday to get out and explore our new town. The Pershore Carnival is an event my mum used to attend regularly when she was growing up and we were all so excited to check it out. 



 I grew up in a town where people rarely gathered together. I never got to be a part of a display of efforts and passion aside from our yearly remembrance parade. What I realised today is that I would have loved carnivals as a kid had our town put one together. 

 The theme of Pershore carnival this year was Music Around the World. 

 It was so delightful to see. As a musician myself, nothing makes me happier than seeing people gather together to celebrate music. Seeing little ones having so much fun in their costumes and laughing on floats was so heartwarming, despite the worst rain shower of the year so far pelting down on us. 

 There were amazing food stalls and people selling their handmade products. 

 There was also a town council desk sat up where you could contribute your hopes and ideas for the future of the town. This was so lovely for me to see. They encouraged me and a young adult to step forward and give my ideas; I never saw this back where I grew up. The town council were always tucked away, you never saw them or got to contribute. 


 It was such an uplifting day. 

 We stopped for coffee after the procession to wait for the rain to pass and I felt so humbled in this new place I call home. We just seemed to fit there among the rain and the laughter. Despite not really knowing anybody, we were smiled at and made to feel welcome. 

 I wish I'd been able to be a part of a carnival procession when I was younger. I don't know if I'd have the same carefree confidence now. 

 It was a really lovely day. 

 I'm glad we went. 

No comments:

Post a Comment