Sunday 7 May 2017

What I Eat As a Student

Although I am only in my second year of A Levels and still living at home, simple things like eating still prove a challenge on top of studying and so I wanted to throw a little post together full of quick and easy meals/snacks I regularly eat. Not only will this be useful for anyone thinking about going vegetarian to see what I eat in a week, but also, it proves just how simple fitting in regular meals can be when you've got 6+ exams to study for!

 I'll begin with my favourite breakfast. I usually have Weetabix with banana and honey for my breakfast in the week. I feel that this prepares me well for the day and takes a minute to prepare. I used to struggle to eat breakfast. I get bored very easily and so having the same cereal every day made me not want to eat at all in the mornings. Something like Weetabix is great because you're getting all the good stuff you need and you can throw almost anything on top of it to keep your morning meal fresh and original. If I'm not in the mood for bananas, I like to experiment with strawberries or even some nuts/seeds. It's important to change around what you eat in the mornings so that you can look forward to breakfast instead of finding it boring. I also like to make sure I have time to eat in the mornings and if I don't, I make sure to grab something to eat in the car. This could be anything: breakfast biscuits, fruit or a breakfast pastry. Whatever you have in the cupboards that's appropriate and will get you ready for the day. I have found since fitting in breakfast I feel much healthier and my daily digestion is much smoother. 

 I have two favourite lunch options. Both are fairy quick and easy; both are easily portable as well so you can prepare these to take with you to work/school. 

 I have fallen so in love with hummus. One of my favourite light lunches or afternoon snack is sliced up pitta breads with hummus. Again, there are many flavours of hummus so you can mix it up and not end up eating the same thing every day. I've never been a huge fan of sandwiches and so this is great for me. I try to eat whole grain pittas now instead of white because it's better for me and the hummus improves the taste a lot! 

 My second favourite lunch option is pesto pasta. I used to make this up to take into work with me but it's become a regular lunch time favourite. It tastes great just on its own or you can add things to make a pasta salad. I enjoy the Linda McCartney pulled chicken which I sometimes add as a meat free protein source; or various cheeses such as Paneer work really well with the pesto sauce. This is super easy to make and pretty fool proof; you just stir the pesto in. It's lovely heated up with melted cheese on top or it's perfect cold if you're preparing it the night before. 

 One thing I knew I would really miss when I went vegetarian was a good roast dinner. I have always loved a Sunday Roast and so I was thrilled when I realised that store bought gravy is vegetarian! 


 I have been really enjoy the Linda McCartney range. My favourite product is the Cheddar & Leak bakes. These work so well with a roast dinner platter and they taste incredible! I'm so glad I can still enjoy a roast dinner. 

 I am very excited by being vegetarian. It's opening me up to so many different food ideas and I enjoy eating a lot more now. I am excited to experiment even more with this diet. I want to learn to cook more of my favourite meals with alternative protein sources so expect more of this kind of post in the future! 

 See you next week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment