Sunday 12 March 2017

My Views on Social Media

It's common and accepted for people to shun my generation for our exploration of social media. We spend too long on our phones and not enough time 'living.' 
 I have to say, I switch off whenever anyone begins on that rant: the one about 'kids today,' because, of course there are negative impacts. Everything has negative impacts if you remain transfixed on them. Today I want to write about why I love specific social media platforms and why I believe they enhance my daily life. 

 I am a writer and a blogger. I am always looking for things to capture either in a picture for my blog or my Instagram or something that I could write about later. A lot of people would say I waste my time photographing what book I'm reading or what outfit I love wearing; but what would you rather I do instead? Stop documenting my everyday life and start 'living in the moment?' Because the way I see it, I'm more aware of 'the moment.' I'm capturing the moment and I have the selected moments online where I can look back on them any time I want. 

 I have been watching the Michalak vlogging channel on YouTube for just over 3 years now. I not only adore their gorgeous editing and motivational lifestyle, but I love what they stand for. Not making money or gathering fame, but documenting every day life. 

 If you'd rather carry on Keeping Up with the Kardashians then that's fine, but I'd rather fill my free time with real people living their real lives and consequently set myself goals that are achievable and don't involve lip fillers and cosmetic surgery. 

 I think I have been ridiculed a fair amount by my family and friends for my use of instagram and my blog. 

 People fail to understand why I post what I do, why I review every book I read or why I dedicated an entire blog post to getting a new coat. 

 I'll tell you why...

 It's because I love taking pictures. 

And I love writing.

And I post it all online because I love having an archive on my phone where I can scroll down and see exactly what my life looked like a year ago. I can see what book I was reading, how I was doing my makeup, what top I loved to wear, what earrings were my favourite. It's all right there within seconds. 

 And I've found that some people love seeing it. I love doing it so it works for me. It's not about showing off or trying to be famous. For me it's all about self expression. 

If you dislike social media; that's fine! 
If you love social media; that's fine. 

 If your passion is writing on paper and taking Polaroid pictures for the wall then that's amazing. If you want to express that online then I would encourage you to! Because what our generation has created is a way to take whatever you love and make a career of it online as well as creating an archive of memories. 

 We're not wasting our lives; we're documenting them. The same way you may have documented yours in an old photo album that's sunken into a shelf collecting dust. 

 On this note, I have been thinking a lot over the past couple of months about creating another YouTube channel. My channel is currently exclusively a music channel. In the future, I would love to make a second channel and invest some money into decent equipment. This channel would be similar to the content you see on my Instagram and blog; mainly book related with a few fashion and beauty bits thrown in. Let me know if that's something you would be interested in following and watching! 

 Thanks for reading. See you next Sunday!   

3 comments:

  1. Good post. Your post will be a guide to know your views about social media and make my own views. Don't you think that due to fake news, social media has become worthless?
    Dissertation writing service

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it depends how each individual uses social media. I think platforms like Facebook have less value to me because of the Fake news issue. I prefer platforms that are more creative and positive. I definitely think Fake news has a huge impact! Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I have a confession to make. I am very bad with managing my time. I have always had loads of stuffs to do, all piled-up until the very last minute.
    help with term paper

    ReplyDelete