Friday 18 December 2015

Autumn Poetry Collection

I have been asked to post some of my poetry by several of my readers. I'll admit, I am a bit apprehensive because poetry is such a personal form of writing and I'm not a professional writer, I am still studying the art of words and with that, I am still studying how to form poetry. However, there are a few short poems that I've written that I am really proud of and so I'm going to post them here for you to enjoy. One thing that differentiates this post from my usual is it gives you chance to give me feedback as a writer: whatever your initial reactions are to these poems, please feel free to comment below! I would really benefit from knowing what you think! First and foremost, most of the poems I will share were a part of a collection I had to write as a piece of mock coursework for my Creative Writing A level and so they are based around the given theme, Light, hence the running theme. I really hope you enjoy my first publicly shared poems!


 Stay Safe Within The Light, My Love. © 

I wrote such words of sorrow
to recover from the scar you left:
words of the smile I had to borrow
and the scars left beneath my chest.
Worry not for my discomfort
or the tears I have cried enough of;
stay safe within the light, my love.

Your hands soon found another
to replace the forever you threw away.
No more than a temporary lover.
The one who left always promised to stay.
Worry not for my discomfort
or the tears I have cried enough of;
stay safe within the light, my love.

You need not seek my forgiveness,
too often you drown within the dark
I was your savior from the wilderness,
I aided you to light the spark.
But I worry still for your discomfort
and the tears you have cried enough of;
stay safe within the light, my love.



Beneath My Ribs  ©

A candle would flicker in the wind,
the flame may even blow out.
My dearest, I struggled to understand
but I am on my way there now.

I kept it all silent for too long,
trapped beneath my lips.
Now you are long gone and oceans away,
so I will keep in beneath my ribs.

My tears put out your roaring flame,
perhaps it was selfish to request you stay.
My dearest, I struggled to understand
but now I am on my way.

You should know you do not hold the blame,
we shared it with each and every kiss.
Now you are long gone and oceans away,
so I will keep in beneath my ribs.

The House I Didn't Get To Build.  ©

You lit a match, 
I watched it burn.
You blew it out, 
I watched the ashes Fall.
You pressed your lips
against her skin-
merely a shadow
where I used to be.

You burnt down the house
I didn't get to build;
danced in the flames,
free of love and guilt.
We both will wait
but one will stay.
When you come back,
I know you won't chose me. 

Last Autumn.  ©

A kiss for my cheek as they change over the leaves.
A kiss on my neck as you're changing me.
You took a hold of my hand, to say the least; 
this time last autumn, you were holding me. 

A magical mist in this crisp new air. 
Old passion dying, acting as though you don't care.
Both pushing and pulling but one force is stronger,
I only wish last autumn had lasted longer. 

My eyes captivated on the fading leaves,
taking more notice than I usually do...
and with it is dying
my missing you. 

 © Chloe Hanks (All poetry shared here belongs to me. Please ask permission to copy any of this poetry and take it else where on the internet. Any quotation should clearly convey credit to my name and my blog and have my own personal permission of use) 

2 comments:

  1. Excellent stuff. I think they would 'live' more in song form though. The way th words rise, fall and lilt (beautifully) is begging to be sung. Also, Iwas given a brilliant tip at college that helped free up my skill set as a writer. At the time I was writing songs, plays, poems & short stories all about very subjective and personal things. My drama teacher pointed out that, as a result, I was shackling my self. She challenged m to write a couple of monologues and plays (mini plays) that were totally objecive works of fiction and it did me the world of good. I found that because I was writing about totally random and impersonal subjects I could be more creative with language, imagery, approach to the subject matter, tone and style. That feedback is still the best piece of advice I ever received. Firstly, because it helped my writing to evolve. Secondly, it gave me a lot more freedom with my ieas. Hope this helps. Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and for taking the time to give me such fantastic feedback! I'll bear this in mind when I start my coursework next term! Xx

      Delete