Wednesday 31 January 2018

I Went to Wayland's for Coffee and Wrote a Sad Little Story

I wake up with dry lips every day. As I brush my teeth and then slather said lips with Nivea lip butter, my mind starts to flash like a supercut for a new blockbuster film. I see snapshots of the dream I had and then forgot immediately, I see the face of the lover who burned me years ago, I see the face of the one I tried to move on with, I see my dog who lives with my parents but I still expect to hear her scratch at the door each morning. I realise I am in a state of purgatory; stuck somewhere between having had great things and potentially having new great things.

I am the fork in the road, disrupting the clear path I had set out for myself.

I am the one who stands between me and a lucid state of happiness.

Until I can switch off from what was and what could be, I sit at the same desk each morning and coat my lips in raspberry scented butter. It does the job. I drink my coffee, think to myself how it’s not as nice as Wayland’s coffee but it’ll have to do seeing as £2.70 every day is a lot to spend on coffee.

That’s when his face flashes into my mind again. We’re approaching the two year mark that will round off when we last spoke, so why am I thinking of him now?

I realise what an awful person I am to have loved another since but have left behind so easily compared to the whirlwind of daydreams and sleep dreams the first has featured in recently.

An awful, awful person.

Perhaps, or perhaps I’m just lost, tripping over my shoelaces in a rush to tie them and so I ended up tying them on the wrong feet. All this time I just needed a change of shoes.

Does that metaphor work? I’m not sure it does.

I think about his hair and wonder if it’s still long and untidy like it used to be; a golden whisp, always soft and always looking right even though it was a mess. I wonder if he still makes the same kind of jokes, do the same phrases still spill from his lips… I wonder if there’s another girl adopting those mannerisms as her own in an intense attempt to become part of him.

Shake it off. You’re fine.

The last inch of coffee has gone cold, it doesn’t matter, I wasn’t enjoying it that much anyway. I’ll end up going to Wayland’s later I’m sure.

I pull my arm into my coat and almost feel my hand reaching for his like I did that night. In unison with a past version of myself, I pull my hand back. I don’t get to hold that hand anymore. It’s over. The end.

I leave the mug to be washed up later. I’m an adult now; I clean up when I feel like it.
I haven’t felt like it for a while, I can tell my mother was judging me the last time she was here. But I pay my rent and I cook my food and I decide.

I think I could do with tidying up though; if only you could tidy your mind like you can tidy a little room. If only I could pick up his hair and his hands and his lips and put them in a box to be locked away in that little cupboard above my wardrobe that I can’t reach properly.

If only I could dust away all the traces of that dream I had a few weeks back where everything was lovely and okay and I was happy and he was here.

Key in the door, light off, locked, gone.

When I get outside and put my playlist on, I forget for one moment.

One foot after the other, I find comfort in the noise my heels make on the tarmac; click, clop, click, clop. Only adults wear shoes like that, it’s these shoes that make me a woman, not him, not what we used to do when we were in love and the doors were shut and the lights were off. No. It’s the shoes. My brand-new shoes; no laces.

The tracks from Reputation play into my ear and I feel like a powerful woman; one who owns her heart and is in complete control of who is let through the gates. If only it were true though; if only I could control it.

I see him walk in front of me, dashing in front of the windscreen of his car to go and pay for the petrol. I see him turn his head to look back at me before he enters the garage. I see the way his eyes used to look when he looked at me. He hasn’t looked at me for two years and several months but I can see it.

There’s no one there of course, except one lady and her dog who stops to say hello to me and then forgets me once I have continued walking.

That’s what life is meant to be like; you get back up, you carry on walking and you forget: the past isn’t reality anymore.

But when you can still feel that buzzing in your chest that you haven’t felt for years despite holding hands with another man, you just cling on for dear life and you can’t let go.

I can’t let go of the box of things I kept under my bed; the necklace he bought me that got tarnished on my nightstand, I couldn’t bear to put it away. His guitar pick that I accidentally dropped into my guitar bag instead of his, the birthday cards, the concert tickets. Everything.

I can’t forgive myself for throwing it away, despite tears streaming down my face, when I packed up my things to move away.

I find myself wondering if he would ever forgive me for it.

I walk through the wind despite its brief threat of rain. I carry myself over foot bridges and pedestrian crossings; through streets of people in love or otherwise. My hands meet the door and I feel a small weight lift, I open it, I’m greeted with warm air and the soft smell of freshly brewed coffee.

For £2.70 I make it all go away for half an hour or so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment